Thursday, February 27, 2014

Get Lost In A Book: Berry's Book Meme

A good book has no ending.
~ R.D. Cumming

It's been a while since I've done one of Berry's Monday Memes, but when I saw that her latest one was about books I knew I would be doing it. I'm a avid reader and you'll find me reading just about anything. For my photo, I used the Fairy Tale Stories decor from Noodles that will be coming to The Arcade on March 1st. Anyways, here I go with the questions.


  • Are you a bookworm? – Yes a huge one. I read 2-5 books a week depending on a variety of factors like how long the book is. I have to read before bed, otherwise I can't sleep. I've tried to sleep without reading first and have never been successful. 
  • Which do you prefer: hardcover, paperback or electronic? – This is a hard question. I really honestly prefer a lovely hardcover but I made the switch to an E-reader 3 years ago. I purchased the Nook Color from Barnes and Noble which I have since updated to the Nook HD+. The reason I switched to an E-reader is simply practicality. I read so many books so quickly that the books begin to stack up and I have no where to put them. 
  • Which book is your favorite? – This is a hard question since I feel like I have so many favorites. Especially in all the different genres. My favorite book of all time is The Red Tent, which I think every woman should read at least once. Seriously, if you haven't read it, go now! I also fell in love with The Night Circus and the series A Song of Ice and Fire, which is now a popular TV show, Game of Thrones on HBO.  
  • Which children’s book is your favorite? – Goodnight Moon. I used to read it to the twins every night. The last few lines of the book are "goodnight stars, goodnight air, goodnight noises everywhere." I would then add on the twins names "goodnight Gabriel and goodnight Claire." See, it rhymes. 
  • What’s the last book you’ve read? – I just finished the newest J.D Robb book, Nora Roberts' pseudonym for her In Death series. Her latest book is called Concealed In Death and I went back to one of her earlier books to reread the series again. I'm almost done with Divided In Death
  • Name your top five favorite writers: – Laurell K. Hamilton, J.D. Robb, Sherrilyn Kenyon, George R. R. Martin and Shakespeare. 
  • Name a book that had a strong impact on you: – The Stranger, which was actually required reading my senior year of high school. 
  • Favorite & least favorite book genres? – I really love almost all book genre's. Mostly I read fantasy, sci-fi, mystery and literary fiction. Since Berry brought up how much she loves Pride and Prejudice, as have countless others, I have to say this category is my least favorite. I don't enjoy books like Pride and Prejudice, Wuthering Heights, Sense and Sensibility and Jane Eyre. I couldn't tell you exactly why I don't like them but I honestly can't get past the first chapters or watch more than 10 minutes of their movie counterparts. I really don't like Twilight either, which is a whole other category. 
  • Favorite & least favorite book-to-movie adaptions? – I have quite a few favorites. I loved the adaptations of Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings, The Hunger Games/Catching Fire and The Princess Bride. My least favorites are Eat, Pray, Love, The Da Vinci Code and The Great Gatsby, Baz Luhrmann's version. 
  • Have you ever bought a book based on the cover alone? – I'm sure I have. They like to keep hardcovers by the register at Barnes and Noble and all those fancy titles are on display. I used to be a fairly impulsive book buyer. 
  • Where do you usually buy your books? – All my electronic books are through Barnes and Noble on my Nook and I shop in their local store on a regular basis as well. It is a good spot to go in the winter when I'm looking for an activity to do with the twins I nanny for. Shopping at a bookstore reminds me of this quote by Henry Ward Beecher, "Where is human nature so weak as in a bookstore." This is so true for me.
  • Do you go to the library? – Yes at least once a week. Again, this is mostly for the benefit of the twins since we attend a story hour for preschoolers. I used to use the library a lot more on my own but I like to read new books right  when they come out and you generally have to get on a waiting list to read such books through the library. 
  • How many books do you own? – Too many to count. I have about 300 on my E-reader, 50 in my tiny room at work, hundreds packed away at home and hundreds more in the shelves of our finished basement. I go through them regularly and donate books I know I won't read again to the library. 
  • If you were to write a book about Second Life, which topic would you focus on? Social dynamics or sex. *Snickers*    
  • Get Lost In A Book: Berry's Book Meme

    On Me
    Skin- Belleza- Ria Medium 1
    Hair- Truth- Junia Light Blondes
    Hands- SLink- Avatar Enhancement Hands Casual
    Top- Tee*fy- Elan Wool Vest Shirt Pink
    Pants- coldLogic- Trouser Eise Taupe Cuff 1
    Feet- SLink- Female Feet Mid
    Shoes- Fri.day- Bowtie Pumps Blush
    Pose w/Books- Infiniti- Family History 1 (gacha)

    Scene
    Shelf- Digs- Hawthorn Bookcase
    Wall Prints- Floorplan- Dictionary Prints
    Chairs- Trompe Loeil- Astrid Chair Branch
    Books with ends- Noodles- Fairy Tale Stores @The Arcade March 1st
    Pop Up Books- Lark- Imaginarium Librarium Mariner and Butterfly Books
    Rug- Fri.day Home- Border Rug

    1 comment: